Photo Gallery

SMOKE DETECTOR SAVES A LIFE IN A TRAILER FIRE - New Marydels Road
Friday, December 29, 2006

At 4:12 p.m. on Friday, December 29, the Millville Volunteer Fire Company was dispatched along with the Roxana Volunteer Fire Company to a structure fire at 36129 New Marydels Road off of Camp Barnes Road. Within one minute of the dispatch of the alarm, Millville's Command Unit and Engine 6 were responding to the scene. Roxana's Assistant Chief Guy Hudson arrived at the scene first and reported a trailer on fire. Assistant Chief Hudson also determined the only occupant of the trailer had safely made it out of the fire. Millville's First Assistant Chief Doug Scott arrived next, closely followed by Engine 6. Assistant Chief Scott quickly determined there were no occupants in the trailer allowing him to direct the first crew using a compressed air foam system line into the front door to extinguish the fire. As additional units and manpower from Millville, Roxana and Bethany Beach arrived on the scene, Assistant Chief Scott employed a second compressed air foam system line into use, while establishing an adequate water supply with tankers from Millville and Roxana. The Roxana Volunteer Fire Company REHAB unit was utilized by the Millville Volunteer Fire Company ambulance personnel and Sussex County Emergency Medical Service Paramedics to provide rest and hydration of the firefighters, allowing them to return to work. One firefighter sustained a minor injury at the scene and was transported to Beebe Hospital in Lewes where he was treated and released. The Dagsboro, Frankford and Selbyville Volunteer Fire Companies provided standby assistance during the alarm. There were three adults who resided in the trailer at 36129 New Marydels Road. Two of the adults were working and not at home when the fire began. The 19-year-old son was home and taking a nap in his bedroom. Fortunately, there were working smoke detectors in the trailer containing new batteries, and he was awakened when the detectors started going off. He smelled the smoke, grabbed their portable phone and the two dogs, and quickly exited the trailer. The young man proceeded to call 911 to report the fire. During the conversation to 911, the line went dead due to loss of service by the fire. Unfortunately, the family did loose one of their pet cats in the fire. The Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office determined the cause of the fire was a malfunction in the heater system. Damage was estimated at approximately $70,000. Assistant Chief Doug Scott and the rest of the members of the Millville Volunteer Fire Company want to emphasize that this fire is a perfect example of why everyone needs to have working smoke detectors in their residence and to replace the batteries on a regular basis. A human life was saved on December 29, 2006 due to functioning smoke detectors! "DEDICATED VOLUNTEERS PROUDLY SERVING OUR COMMUNITY"

Views: 649

Views: 550

Views: 447

Views: 419

Views: 393

Views: 427

Views: 513

Views: 383

Views: 469

Views: 445

Views: 416

Views: 455

Views: 469

Views: 324

Views: 359

Views: 336

Views: 336

Views: 343

Views: 305

Views: 273