Photo Gallery

Working House Fire - 32667 Omar Road
Friday, January 19, 2007

At 3:03a.m. on Friday, January 19, the Millville Volunteer Fire Company was dispatched along with the Frankford and Roxana Volunteer Fire Companies to a house fire at 32647 Omar Road. Within four minutes of the dispatch of the early morning alarm, Millville's Command Unit and Engine 6 were responding to the scene. When Millville's Second Assistant Chief Doug Scott arrived at the scene, heavy smoke was coming from the dwelling, and there was fire showing at the front door and rear of the home. The firefighters were initially informed all occupants were out of the home. However, one family member was not accounted for, but it was highly possible the person was spending the night elsewhere. Assistant Chief Scott directed the first crew from Engine 6, led by Third Assistant Chief R.J. Kauffman, into the front door using a compressed air foam system line to extinguish the fire. The crew of Truck 84 led by Captain Guy Rickards initiated a primary search of the dwelling for the unaccounted occupant. First Assistant Chief Bob Magee was assigned to be in charge of operations on the scene. As additional units and manpower from Millville, Frankford, and Roxana Volunteer Fire Companies arrived on the scene, two additional lines were placed into service from Frankford's Engine 3 to aid in fire suppression. After conducting an extensive search of the home, it was determined all family members in the house had made it safely out. An adequate water supply with Millville's tanker and other engines from Millville, Frankford and Roxana was established early on in the operation. Roxana's units were assigned as the RIT (Rapid Intervention Team) team. The Dagsboro Fire Company provided additional manpower assistance at the scene. Second Assistant Chief Doug Scott declared the fire under control at 3:39 a.m. Bethany Beach, Gumboro, Selbyville and Millsboro Volunteer Fire Companies provided standby assistance at various fire stations during the alarm. There were three adults and three children who escaped the fire. One of the adults had to be treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but did not have to be transported to an area hospital. The pet cat of the family was found unconscious inside the house by EMT/Firefighter Sean Humphreys as he was helping to ventilate during the initial attack. As Humphreys was breaking windows, he kicked in a side door and noticed the cat on the floor. Humphreys carried the cat to the ambulance where he administered oxygen, which brought the pet back to a conscious state. When Humphreys returned the revived pet to the children, they were so happy their cat "Jake" was alive. Chief Deputy State Fire Marshall Randall Lee stated the fire originated in the rear bedroom and was caused by an electrical malfunction of an extension cord serving an electric space heater. He noted the home was not equipped with working smoke detectors. Damage to the house was estimated at approximately $40,000. The Red Cross was requested to send a team to the scene to help the family find temporary housing. "DEDICATED VOLUNTEERS PROUDLY SERVING OUR COMMUNITY"

Views: 377

Views: 436

Views: 421

Views: 355

Views: 452

Views: 494

Views: 456

Views: 388

Views: 360

Views: 459

Views: 411

Views: 358

Views: 340

Views: 283

Views: 255

Views: 305

Views: 303

Views: 323

Views: 308

Views: 498