Photo Gallery

Pole Barn Fire - 32100 Block Powell Farm Road
Wednesday, January 2, 2008

At 11:14 p.m. on Wednesday, January 2, the Millville, Roxana, and Bethany Beach Volunteer Fire Companies were dispatched along with the Sussex County Paramedics to a structure fire at the 32100 block of Powell Farm Road. Within two minutes of the dispatch emergency units were responding to the alarm. When Millville’s Second Assistant Chief Eric Huovinen arrived at the scene, there was an approximate 900 square feet pole barn garage behind a residence heavily involved in fire. Rescue Captain Richie Walls was placed in charge of operations. The first crew in stretched a 1¾-inch compressed air foam line to the front door. Forcible entry was made into the building for an initial attack. It was determined the roof of the garage was unstable, resulting in the crew withdrawing from the structure and initiating a defensive exterior attack. A second 1¾-inch compressed air foam line was placed in service to help extinguish the blaze. A sufficient water supply for the firefighters was established through a tanker operation. During the alarm, Operations Officer Richie Walls advised that a civilian bystander who was watching the alarm passed out in the yard adjacent to the fire. Roxana Assistant Chief Guy Hudson, who was stationed at Millville’s Command vehicle, initiated a response to the bystander. When it was determined the bystander was in cardiac arrest, Bethany Beach’s Chief Tom Moore and Assistant Chief Brian McConalogue, along with Millville’s Firefighter Bonnie O’Bier, assisted in the response to the bystander. These four responders defibrillated the patient one time and a pulse was restored. Rescue breathing continued until the Millville ambulance personnel and Sussex County Paramedics arrived, who then transported the patient to Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin, Maryland. Selbyville Volunteer Fire Company provided standby assistance during the alarm. Chief Eric Huovinen declared the fire under control at 11:41 p.m. Units remained on the scene until 12:34 a.m. Delaware State Fire Marshal investigators determined the fire started after a wood stove ignited combustibles. Damage to the building and contents was placed at $25,000. . “DEDICATED VOLUNTEERS PROUDLY SERVING OUR COMMUNITY”

Views: 688

Views: 576

Views: 604

Views: 561