Photo Gallery

Structure Fire With Motor Vehicle Fatality - 500 Block Atlantic Avenue
Sunday, February 3, 2008

At 1:25 a.m. on Sunday, February 3, the Millville, Bethany Beach and Roxana Volunteer Fire Companies were dispatched along with the Sussex County Paramedics to a house fire, with a car reported in the house, at the 500 block of Atlantic Avenue in Ocean View. Within three minutes of the dispatch of the early morning alarm, units began responding. When Millville’s Chief Doug Scott arrived at the scene, heavy smoke and fire was coming from the garage end where the car impacted the dwelling and was located. One-inch and three-quarter compressed air foam lines were placed in operation for an initial attack on the fire. Additional crews entered through the front and rear of the structure to conduct a search of the commercial dwelling and check for fire extension. Second Assistant Chief Eric Huovinen initiated the ventilation of the roof area. Wally Evans of Millville was assigned to be in charge of operations on the scene. Additional manpower and units were requested from the Frankford and Dagsboro Volunteer Fire Companies to provide assistance. An adequate water supply was established with the equipment that responded to the scene. Once the fire was extinguished, the car could be pulled from the building. The driver of the car was extricated from the vehicle and turned over to the Medical Examiner’s Office. An investigation into the accident was also being conducted by the Delaware State Police. The Delaware State Fire Marshall’s Office estimated damage to the building at approximately $150,000. Chief Doug Scott declared the fire under control at 2:17 a.m. Units remained on the scene until 4:59 a.m. Additional positions assigned by Chief Scott during the alarm were: Accountability-Shane Truitt, Bethany Beach Truck Captain; Staging-Todd Hickman, Bethany Beach Rescue Lieutenant; Safety Officer-Harold Lloyd, Millville; Water Supply-Jack Melson, Millville Chief Engineer; Rehab-Guy Hudson, Roxana Assistant Chief. The Roxana Volunteer Fire Company was established as the RIT (Rapid Intervention Team) team. The Millsboro, Gumboro, Ocean City, Rehoboth, and Selbyville Fire Companies provided standby assistance during the alarm. There were approximately 100 emergency responders on the scene. One firefighter became dehydrated and was transported to the Beebe Medical Center in Lewes where he was treated and released. “DEDICATED VOLUNTEERS PROUDLY SERVING OUR COMMUNITY”

Views: 943

Views: 1013

Views: 836

Views: 847

Views: 841

Views: 928

Views: 939

Views: 1115

Views: 962

Views: 1029

Views: 1045

Views: 1072

Views: 807

Views: 826

Views: 803

Views: 776

Views: 786

Views: 1095

Views: 709