Message Center

Millville Volunteer Fire Company 75th Anniversary

 The Millville Volunteer Fire Company will be celebrating its 75th Anniversary of providing fire service and 50th Anniversary of providing ambulance service to the community on Saturday, April 16, 2011. All community members are invited to come out and enjoy the affair. A parade will begin the celebration starting at 10 a.m. Several fire companies will be showing off their equipment as the parade begins at the intersection of Railway Road and Atlantic Avenue, and concludes at the intersection of Old Mill Road. Following the parade will be an Open House with a brief history of the fire company being presented. The presentation of awards is scheduled for 1 p.m. with a Vehicle Extrication Demonstration on tap for 2 p.m. Other events and displays are being planned for the day. Hopefully it will be a nice sunny day for everyone to enjoy. In case of rain, the event will be postponed and held the following Saturday on April 23. 

 

History of the Millville Volunteer Fire Company
From 1948 Through March 16, 1965
 
 In 1948 new addition was built on rear of firehouse.
 In 1949 a pool table was bought (and is still in use).
 September 4, 1951 GMC chassis bought for new tank wagon at cost of $3900.
 December 4 1951 new tank wagon arrives.
 In 1952 a neon sign was put on front of firehouse.
 January 7, 1955 property next door purchased for $4,990.
 In 1956 new rescue wagon purchased.
 In 1958 Company voted to purchase uniforms.
 July 10, 1961 Company bought a used ambulance from Georgetown and started an ambulance service.
  In 1962 Company started a Junior Fire Company.
 June 12, 1962 traded old ambulance for a new Cadillac with a Superior body for a  difference of $9,600.
 In 1963 Company remodeled the upstairs of firehouse.
 In 1964 Company bought a new siren.
 March 16, 1965 Iron Heart was donated to fire company by L.B. Lions Club.

Views: 100

Views: 73

Views: 35

Views: 35